Consulate General of IndiaChicago
Serving the states of: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin
Power Of Attorney
Power Of Attorney/ Any personal document
There is no need to seek an appointment. Applicants could visit the Consulate on any working day between 9:30 AM -12:30PM. The service will be on first come first serve basis.
In the case of US nationals (Indian origin), their signatures should be first attested by the Authentication(Apostle) Division from the Secretary of State before submission for attestation at the Consulate. Copy of the Certificate of authorization/OCI is required.
KIndly bring photocopies of the required documents as there is no faculity of photocopy at the Consulate
Applying In Person:
Carry originals of all the supporting documents to be presented to the Consular Officer (photocopies of which are to be attached with the application).
Property related : $22 (for single), $42 (for two persons), $62 (for three person)
Other documents: $12 (for single), $22 (for two persons), $32 (for three person)
Applicants are requested to come with exact fee amount for efficient service.
Note: The aforesaid fees apply to a single attestation. In case the applicant seeks attestation for two or more sets of the same document, he would be required to pay more depending upon number of documents to be attested. The fee thus charged is non-refundable.
If you want to receive the attested documents back through mail, send a traceable pre-paid return mailing envelope (USPS 'Express Mail' or FEDEX Express etc.)
Fees should be paid through Money order or Cashiers' cheque drawn in favor of the 'Consulate General of India, Chicago.’ Cash is accepted only if applying in person. Personal cheques, debit cards, credit cards or other banking instruments are not accepted.
Applying by Mail:
Consulate General of India, Chicago
455 North Cityfront Plaza
Suite 850, NBC Tower
Chicago, IL 60611
Photocopy of all supporting documents should be notarized and attached to the application.
Fee: As above.
How to Apply:
Miscellaneous Services Form - Download the Miscellaneous Application form. Complete and sign the application form. In case of those who can not sign, provide thumb impression (Right Hand Thumb Impression for female and left hand thumb impression for male).
Attach the following documents with the application form:
1. Current passport in original and photocopy of the first page and last page of the passport.
Proof of your US Visa Status:(copy of any one of the following) :
2. Photocopy of the page containing visa on passport (H1B, H4 etc) and the copy of I-94
Clear Photocopy of Green Card
Employment Authorization Document (Work Permit)
I-797, I-140 or I-20 (If approval copy of these notices are pending, also attach a handwritten note detailing the efforts being taken to regularize status)
3. Proof of current US residence address: (copy of any one of the following):
U.S Driving license.
PG&E, Water or landline telephone bill displaying applicant’s address
House Lease Agreement
State Identification Card
Note: Bank/credit card/mobile phone statements are not accepted as residence proof.
4. Two sets of the document to be attested or original document and a copy there of can to be submitted. If submitting by mail, the document needs to be notarized.
Applying in person:
Same day (delivery of attested documents between 3:30-5:00 pm)
Applying by mail:
10 (ten) business days excluding the time taken in mail
- Aadhar Card/ Permanent Account Number (PAN) -Income Tax
- Affidavit For Child's Passport To Be Issued In India
- Attestation Of Will
- Birth Certificate or Non Availablity of Birth Certificate
- Emergency Certificate (EC)
- Global Entry Program (GEP) For Indian nationals
- ICWF Fee
- Life Certificate
- Marriage Certificate
- NRI Certificate
- PCC (Police Clearance Certificate)
- Permit to Carry Mortal Remains / Ashes /Attestation of Death Certificate
- Power Of Attorney
- Registration Of Birth
- Solemnization/Registration of Marriage