Consulate General of IndiaChicago
Serving the states of : Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin
Commemoration of 151st birth anniversary of Mahatma GandhiOctober 05, 2020
Consulate General of India
Consulate General of India, Chicago
commemorates the 151st birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi
1. On the occasion of the 151st birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, the Consulate General of India in Chicago in association with Gandhi Memorial, Chicago, organized an event in the forenoon of 2 October in the Skokie Village, which hosts the statue of Mahatma Gandhi unveiled in 2004.
2. Consul General Amit Kumar paid floral tributes to Mahatma Gandhi and addressed the gathering. Gandhi ji’s life and message are of abiding relevance & continues to inspires us all. Due to Covid-19 situation, the event was scaled down and was attended by a few founding members of Gandhi Memorial including Mr. and Mrs. Omprakash Kamaria and Shri Chandra Kant Modi, and few officers from the Consulate. Consul General also presented a set of books on Gandhi ji for the library of Gandhi Memorial.
3. On Gandhi Jayanti, the Consulate has received several messages including from Hon’ble Member of Congress Raja Krishnamoorthi. Hon’ble Mayor of Chicago has proclaimed 2 October as the ‘Mahatma Gandhi Day in Chicago’.
4. The Consulate also organised a virtual event in the evening on 02 October 2020, which was streamed live on its Facebook page. Consul General Kumar addressed the viewers. The cultural programme included a mix of songs, classical dance, skit and narration paying tribute to Gandhi ji and recalling his life and message. Following individuals / organisations contributed to the programme:
I. Recital of Gandhi ji’s favourite Bhajans by Carnatic music exponent Aravind Sundar from Chicago and Danish born singer Ms. Anita Lerche from Indiana;
II. Dance performance by Kalapriya Dance Academy, Chicago on the theme ‘Charkha’ symbolizing Gandhi’s peaceful struggle for civil rights for all;
III. a short skit with child actors directed and produced by Mr. Anurag Misraraj of Dramatech of America, Chicago, on the importance of Gandhi ji’s teachings in contemporary times; and
IV. a presentation on Gandhi Peace Program by National Indo-American Museum (NIAM).
5. Besides this, as part of Gandhi Jayanti celebration, the Consulate, in association with the Gandhian Forum for Ethical Corporate, presented Gandhi Katha by Dr. Shobhana Radhakrishna, Chief Functionary at Gandhian Forum on 26 September 2020.
Latest Notice and Alerts
- October 30, 2020 : Prime Minister’s interview has been carried in Economic Times on 29 October 2020
- October 27, 2020 : The Consulate General of India, Chicago will remain closed on Friday, October 30 on account of Milad Un Nabi or Id-e-Milad.
- October 26, 2020 : Public Notice Regarding New Outsourcing Service Provider
- October 24, 2020 : Extension of last date for getting OCI Card re-issued to 30 June 2021