Consulate General of IndiaChicago
Serving the states of : Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin
Attestation Of Will
Attestation Of Will
There is no need to take an appointment. Applicants could visit The Consulate on any working day between 9:30 AM - 12:30 PM. The service will be on first come first serve basis.
If the Will is on Stamp Paper, it will not be attested.
The Consulate reserves the right to reject attestation of documents the contents of which are objectionable or contrary to the Rules.
Attestation of Will is done in person only.
Applying In Person only:
The applicant drawing up the Will is required to come to the Consulate personally. The applicant will be interviewed by the Consular Officer to ascertain if he/she has been influenced in any way or is in his/her senses when drawing the Will. If the applicant cannot come to the Consulate, for whatever reason, the Will will not be attested. There is no relaxation to this rule.
Carry originals of all the supporting documents to be presented to the Consular Officer (photocopies of which are to be attached with the application).
For attestation of Will, Passport, visa and address proof of witnesses are also required.
A non-refundable fee of $22 per attestation + $10 (ten) per photograph (if photograph to be also attested).If you want to receive the attested documents back through mail, send a traceable pre-paid return mailing envelope (USPS 'Express Mail' or FEDEX etc.)
Fees should be paid in cash, Money order or Cashiers’ cheque drawn in favor of the ‘Consulate General of India, Chicago.’ Personal cheques, debit cards, credit cards or other banking instruments are not accepted.
How to Apply:
- Miscellaneous Services Form - Download and complete the Miscellaneous Application form
- Attach the following documents with the application form:
- Current passport in original and photocopy of the first page and last page of the passport.
- Proof of your US Visa Status:(copy of any one of the following) :
- Photocopy of the page containing visa on passport (H1B, H4, L1 etc) and the copy of I-94
- Clear Photocopy of Green Card
- Employment Authorization Document (Work Permit)
- I-797, I-140 or I-20 (If approval copy of these notices are pending, also attach a handwritten note detailing the efforts being taken to regularize status)
- Proof of current US residence address: (copy of any one of the following) :
- U.S Driving license.
- PG&E, Water or landline telephone bill displaying applicant’s address
- House Lease Agreement
- State Identification Card
Note: Bank/credit card/mobile phone statements are not accepted as residence proof
- Will needs to be signed and witnessed by two individuals (with their names and addresses clearly mentioned).
- Will created by the applicant has to be 2 copies and the applicant has to be present at the Consulate in person
Also, the witnesses are required to sign before the consular officer or their signatures should be notarized.
Passport, visa and local address proof in Original and copy of the witnesses are required.
In case the Consulate receives applications with incomplete documentation, the same will be returned back unprocessed.
Processing Time :
- Applying in person only
- Same day (delivery of attested documents between 3:30 - 5:00 pm)