Consulate General of IndiaChicago
Serving the states of : Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin
Owing to the growing spread of COVID19, it has been decided to stop the walk-in Miscellaneous Consular Services at the Consulate General of India. The services will continue to be provided through Postal mail/shipping.
Consulate General of India, Chicago serves the states of Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin. Only the applicants residing in these states are eligible to apply at this Consulate.
Any queries / clarifications regarding ‘NRI Certificate’ may please be sent at email address : firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Miscellaneous Services – NRI Certificate”. The applicants must provide full facts and details of the case while writing the e-mail. The applicants are also required to provide their complete contact details (along-with their reachable contact number) so that they may be contacted accordingly while addressing their issues.
Applying through postal service:
1. Download the Miscellaneous Application form. Fill and sign the application form. In case of those who can not sign, provide thumb impression (Right Hand Thumb Impression for female and left hand thumb impression for male). Each applicant is required to fill up separate Miscellaneous Application form and affix his/her recent passport size photograph.
2. Applicants who are Indian passport holders are required to submit:
a) A notarized photocopy of their passport.
b) A notarized photocopy of a document showing their valid US Visa Status (see list of documents which are accepted at notes section below) .
c) Duly filled entry/exit form.
d) Most recent I-94 form.
e) An affidavit/declaration that they have stayed abroad for more than 182 days during a particular financial year (March to April).
3. Applicants who are non-Indian passport holders are required to submit:
a) A notarized photocopy of their passport.
b) A notarized photocopy of their OCI / PIO card.
4. Applicants, who want attestation of document provided by an Indian University to get NRI sponsored admission for their relatives in India, may provide the same in original with a photocopy. Those who don’t have a proforma from the Indian University will be issued one as per Consulate’s format. Applicants must provide a proof that a certificate is required for admission in Indian University under NRI Quota.
5. Applicants should provide a notarized photocopy of proof of their current US residence address. (see list of documents which are accepted at notes section below).
6. Fee : (the fee given below includes USD 2/- ICWF contribution)
- USD 27/- per copy of the NRI Certificate.
The fee charged is non-refundable. Fee should be paid through Money order or Cashiers' cheque drawn in favor of the 'Consulate General of India, Chicago’. Cash, personal cheques, debit / credit cards or other banking instruments are not accepted.
7. Please send a self-addressed traceable pre-paid return mailing envelope (USPS 'Express Mail' or FEDEX, UPS etc.) to receive the NRI Certificate back by post.
8. All the above-mentioned required documents should be sent along-with the requisite fee and the traceable pre-paid return mailing envelope to the following address :
Consulate General of India, Chicago
455 North Cityfront Plaza
Suite 850, NBC Tower
Chicago, IL 60611
9. Please mention “Miscellaneous Consular Services – NRI Certificate” on top of the envelope. Please wait 3-4 days after sending the documents before contacting the Consulate to know the status of your case.
Applying in person: (Facility not available at the moment due to COVID-19)
1. There is no need to take an appointment for this service. Applicants could visit the Consulate on any working day between 9:30 AM - 12:30 PM. The service will be on first come first serve basis.
2. All the above-mentioned documents must be presented in duplicate ( i. e. in original along with the photocopy ) to the Consular Officer.
3. Fee : As mentioned above. Cash is also accepted.
4. Traceable pre-paid return mailing envelope is not required as the a NRI Certificate will be handed over to you on the same day.
1. Documents accepted as valid US Visa status : (any one of the following)
• The page containing visa on passport (H1B, H4 etc) and I-94.
• Green Card.
• Employment Authorization Document (Work Permit). I-797, I-140 or I-20 (If approval copy of these notices are pending, also attach a handwritten note detailing the efforts being taken to regularize status).
2. Documents accepted as proof of current US residence address : (any one of the following)
• U.S. Drivers license.
• PG&E, Water or land-line telephone bill displaying applicant's address.
• House Lease Agreement.
• State Identification Card.
3. Bank/credit card/mobile phone statements are not accepted as residence proof.
4. The photocopies whether notarized or un-notarized must be legible enough otherwise Consulate may ask to see the original.
5. Only recent photographs of the applicant should be used wherever necessary.
6. Processing time :
Applying through postal service - 4 to 5 business days excluding the time taken in mail.
Applying in person - Same day, however, if unforeseen technical reasons occur, services can be delayed till those problems are resolved. Presently this option remains suspended.
The above time is also subject to timely submission of all the requisite documents by the applicant.
- Aadhar Card / Pan Card
- Affidavit For Child's Passport To Be Issued In India
- Attestation Of Will
- Attestation Services
- Birth Certificate or Non Availablity of Birth Certificate
- Global Entry Program (GEP) For Indian nationals
- ICWF Fee
- Life Certificate
- Marriage Certificate
- No Obligation To Return To India(NORI)
- NOC For Transportation of Mortal Remains and Ashes
- NRI Certificate
- Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) of Foreign Nationals
- Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) of Indian Nationals
- Power Of Attorney
- Registration Of Birth
- Registration of Marriages already solemnized in USA