Consulate General of IndiaChicago
Serving the states of : Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin
Emergency Certificate (EC)
Emergency Certificate (EC) or One-Way Travel Document to India
- EC is issued to those citizens of India to whom a new passport cannot be issued because of pending verification from India.
- EC is issued to those Indian nationals who have either been refused passport, whose passports have been lost, stolen
or damaged; whose passports have been impounded/revoked, whose passports have remained expired for a long time;
or who are under orders of deportation.
·EC is issued primarily to facilitate the individual’s return to India in an emergency.
·EC can be issued only when the individual’s Indian nationality is confirmed.
·If an individual is under orders of deportation, the application should be submitted through the US Immigration and
Customs Enforcement/Department of Homeland Security. The EC will be delivered to the agency concerned and
not to an agent or third party.
·Emergency certificate (EC) is a one-way travel document to India;
· EC can be issued only on an individual’s formal request.
· It is mandatory for an individual requesting an EC to apply in- person at the Consulate. Mailing facility is not available for issuing EC.
Applicants should bring in their application to the between 9:30AM -12:30PM. Service is on first come first serve basis.
Supporting Documents: Carry originals of all the supporting documents to be
presented to the Consular Officer (photocopies of which are to be attached with
the application). In case you are not able to present the original documents at the
counter, bring notarized copy of documents being attached to the application.
Ensure that notarized copies are legible, otherwise the Consulate may ask to see original documents.
Fee: A non-refundable fee of $17 (seventeen). There is no mail back service available for EC. Fees should be paid through Money order or Cashiers’ cheque drawn in favor of the ‘Consulate General of India, Chicago.’ Cash is accepted at the counter. Personal cheques, debit cards, credit cards or other banking instruments are not accepted.
How to Apply:
· Complete the online application based on your current passport details. (https://passport.in.ckgs.us/)
· Print the 4 page application. Fill in by hand the details on page 2 of the form. Sign in the allotted space on page 1, 3 and 4 of the form.
· You need six (6) photographs of 2 inches x 2 inches (51mm x 51mm)
photos - one to be pasted in the box on page 1 (one) and the 2nd photo to be stapled on the blank portion (below ‘for official use only’) on page 4 (four), and 4 photographs on Personal Particulars Form.
· Attach following documents with the printed Application Form:
· Photocopy of the first page and last page of the current/last passport. In case photocopy of passport not available, submit copy of Indian birth certificate, Matriculation/Higher Secondary/School Leaving Certificate or Indian Photo Identify Card – including Driving License, Ration Card, Election Commission ID, PAN card, or any other document containing photo and indicating Indian nationality of the applicant.
· Proof of current US residence address: (copy of any one of the following)
- U.S Driving license.
- PG&E, Water or landline telephone bill displaying applicant’s address
- House Lease Agreement
- State Identification Card
- Note: Bank/credit card/mobile phone statements are not accepted as residence proof
· Filled in Personal Particulars Form (two copies)
· If the lost passport had already expired beyond a period of six months, submit the notarized affidavit
· Original Police Report lodged with the Police about loss of passport
· A letter on a plain paper addressed to the Consulate General of India, Chicago explaining the circumstances and reason for seeking an EC
In case the Consulate receives applications with incomplete documentation, the same would be sent back unprocessed in the return envelope sent by the applicant.
Processing Time :
Though this Consulate's goal is to ensure quick service yet processing time may vary in each case depending upon nationality verification based on the documents submitted by the applicant.
- Aadhar Card/ Permanent Account Number (PAN) -Income Tax
- Affidavit For Child's Passport To Be Issued In India
- Attestation Of Will
- Birth Certificate or Non Availablity of Birth Certificate
- Emergency Certificate (EC)
- Global Entry Program (GEP) For Indian nationals
- ICWF Fee
- Life Certificate
- Marriage Certificate
- NRI Certificate
- PCC (Police Clearance Certificate)
- Permit to Carry Mortal Remains / Ashes /Attestation of Death Certificate
- Power Of Attorney
- Registration Of Birth
- Solemnization/Registration of Marriage