About Us Registration of Marriages already solemnized in USA

Registration of Marriages already solemnized in USA

Marriage of Indian nationals solemnized abroad is registered under the Foreign Marriages Act 1969.


One of the prospective brides or bridegroom must be an Indian national and a legal resident within the consular jurisdiction of CGI Chicago. Consular jurisdiction may be seen at https://www.indianembassyusa.gov.in/pages/MTk.

The fee given below includes USD 2/- ICWF contribution:

USD 52/-

Mode of payment:
Fees should be paid through Money order or Cashiers' cheque drawn in favor of the 'Consulate General of India, Chicago’. Personal cheques, debit cards, credit cards, or other banking instruments are not accepted. Cash is also accepted.

How to apply:
This service is available only in-person at the Consulate. The bride and bridegroom, along with three witnesses are required to be present and sign before the Consular Officer for the registration of the marriage. Please email to cons.chicago@mea.gov.in to schedule an appointment as walk-in / in-person services are currently suspended at the Consulate due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Documents required:

1. Bride and bride-groom both have to fill and sign the two forms: Miscellaneous form and Marriage Registration Request form. Paste recent passport-size photographs wherever required.
2. Marriage Certificate or license issued by the local authorities in USA (court/county) to be submitted in original along with a photo-copy.
3. Passport, VISA, and current residence proof of the bride, bridegroom and the three witnesses to be submitted in original along with a photocopy. VISA is not required for US nationals.
4. Please bring two spare passport size photographs of the bride and bride-groom for pasting it on the marriage registration certificate.

Processing time :

The same day, however, if unforeseen technical reasons occur, services can be delayed till those problems are resolved.